Africa Fashion Week in Johannesburg, South Africa organized by African Fashion International (AFI) is one of the most important fashion events in Africa. With the aim of highlighting some of the best in African fashion and creative design, AFI has done a phenomenal job giving designers a platform to showcase and market their designs. Including a unique competition for up and coming designers through their collaboration with Foschini (a popular international women’s brand).  The Foschini/AFI FASTRACK competition launched in 2011 creates a platform for young designers to kick-start their careers in the fashion retail industry. After showing at Johannesburg Fashion Week and Cape Town Fashion week in front of a panel of judges; the winners are taken through a supply chain internship at Foschini where they are taught the “in’s and out’s” of the retail industry. All culminating in a collection from the designers thats sold in flagship Foschini stores. AFI is an important and  truly progressive company to be aware of that is intimately involved in the international support and promotion of African fashion.

Kluk CGdt AFW S/S '12

Held at the Sandton Convention Centre from October 20th to October 23rd, designers from the United States, Zimbabwe, Kenya, London, Mozambique, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Egypt, Tanzania, Uganda, Ghana, and South Africa presented their Spring 2012 collections. Not all of the designers are featured below, but I believe the strongest and most relevant looks are shown. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the diversity in style and design of all the collections at this years Africa Fashion Week.

In my post last week “The Larger Implications Behind Burberry’s Use of African Fabric“, I talked about seeking out African designers until the industry responds to the consumers demands. So take this opportunity to pay attention to the names, styles and designs of the designers below. Remember them, seek out more information about their brands and most importantly buy their designs!

Adama Paris

Alexander Koutny

Avant

Bunmi Koko

Christie Brown

David Tiale

Duaba Serwa

Gloria Wavoumo

Fast Track Collections

Maki Oh

Marriane Fassler

Kiki Clothing

Kluk CGdt

Laquan Smith

Soucha

Photos by: Simon Diener

The following two tabs change content below.

NoelleBonner

African Fashion has always been in style.

Comments Closed

Comments are closed.

F
F
Twitter
orijinculture on Twitter
people follow orijinculture
Twitter Pic Y
F
Invalid username, no pictures, or instagram servers not found
Invalid username, no pictures, or instagram servers not found
F