On October 24th, 1964 the southern African country of Zambia gained its independence from the United Kingdom. While the road since independence has been a rocky one, Zambia has managed to surge through them to become one of the more stable countries in the region.
On its 47th independence, the slogan “One Zambia, One Nation,” as introduced by the nation’s first president Kenneth Kaunda, still reigns strong and speaks volumes to the unity and pride on Zambian people. The national flag and what it symbolizes also gives a view of the rich culture, history and people. The dominant green colour is symbolic of the country’s natural beauty, with three vertical stripes in the lower right corner. These three red stripes are symbolic of the country’s struggle for freedom; black, represents the racial makeup of the majority population; and orange is symbolic of the country’s copper riches and other mineral wealth. The copper-colored eagle in the upper right corner of the flag symbolizes the country’s ability to rise above its problems.
Zambia is home to Victoria Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world and is known internationally as “land of the legendary African walking safari.” Zambia’s natural beauty and abundance of rich wildlife and landscaped continues to attract people from all over the world.
While Zambia, like most nations, is not without its issues, on its independence, let’s celebrate all the wonderful beauties the country has to offer. Happy Independence Day Zambia!
Here are some famous Zambians:
Latest posts by Nekita (see all)
- Africa is still born in us : Garifuna in Latin America - November 22, 2014
- I am not African : Afro-Descendants in Dominican Republic - November 21, 2014
- Capoeira, beyond the human eyes - November 18, 2014
- Torn between Love and Family - October 9, 2014
- Men Get Breast Cancer Too, Ask “Shaft” - October 6, 2014
- The Sambia Tribe’s initiation from Boyz to Men - September 24, 2014
- Legalize Porn in Africa and the Caribbean!! (Y/N) - September 23, 2014
- Tracing African descendants in INDIA - September 23, 2014
- Breast Ironing in Africa ? - June 7, 2014
- Island Girls are Crazy! Ask Chris Brown - December 12, 2013